China ends international adoption. Reactions range from shock to relief

From left: Leah Burns and Hannah Johns, who were each adopted by U.S. parents when they were babies in China. Burns, raised in Arkansas in a predominantly white community, says, ““I can have a great life, love my mom, have a positive adoption experience, and also feel sad and bitter and angry toward a system that was established before I was even born.” Johns, raised in Texas after being found on a street corner in eastern China, says, “I can be grateful, and I can have a great, great relationship with my parents. But I can also still be critical of the systems that caused my adoption."

The decision has sent shockwaves through the adoption community and angered families still in the process of adopting children from China. We interviewed adoptees in the U.S. to hear their reaction.

(Image credit: From left: Leah Burns; Hannah Johns)



from NPR Topics: News https://ift.tt/v6Spi7q

No comments

Powered by Blogger.